Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sexy Wizard Wanda Potter Halloween Costume - LARGE

Sexy naughty wizard will cast a spell on you! Costume includes dress with pleated hem, cape with attached collar and neck tie, glasses and wand.


Years ago my father introduced me to a tradition that was able to bring peace into our relationship. My parents divorced when I was about ten years old and my Dad moved south, far away from me. We really didn't speak often as my parents had one of those horrendous divorces. I probably saw him a half a dozen times before heading to college in Burlington, VT.

Needless to say, we did not have much in common and frankly, I kept myself slightly aloof from him as he left long ago...During college he began making attempts to be a part of my life. He would take me skiing with my boyfriend, send money finally and call more often.

One memorial weekend he asked me if I would like to do the graves with him. Strangely enough that was one place we both liked to go - cemeteries. We both liked wandering around old graveyards reading headstones and admiring the artistry of the marble works.

My Dad grew up in Middlebury, VT. Most of that side of the family still lives there and our relatives are buried in several different cemeteries in the area. I agreed, not really knowing what I was getting into. He picked me up early that Sunday morning and I looked in the backseat to see all kinds of supplies - gardening tools, cups and to my surprise, chilled champagne.

We began chatting about where we were going first and my Dad started telling stories. He loves telling stories, but this time the stories were of friends he had lost in Vietnam, Uncles wounded in WWII and scandalous adventures of my family I never knew. I laughed, really laughed and I saw my father for the first time as more than the man that left.

He was flawed certainly, but he was trying. Trying to become a family again. I saw for the first time how young he was when my parents got married and I found compassion that was not there before.

At each grave we cleared away the weeds, and planted pansies and marigolds. We offered champagne toasts and funny stories to those long gone. Quietly, without knowing when, a gentle peace had slipped into my Dad and my relationship.

I finally had come to love my father again. I realized wasn't abandoned any longer. I had found my way back to him and this family through the memories and stories of those long past. That day, together, we found peace again in pansies and laughter. This peace has made all the difference and I am grateful.

Happy Memorial Day! May peace find each of us.

Kelly Ballard is a workshop leader, Intuitive Guide and Healer. Through workshops, private sessions and guided meditations Kelly specializes in helping others discover positive solutions for immediate change/growth in their lives thus drawing their most abundant life into reality. Find out more information about her services and meditation CDs at http://www.kellyballard.com. Contact her directly at 720-984-4232 or email kelly@kellyballard.com. She lives in Boulder, CO.

No comments: